Start with making dinner. The entire process of cooking and eating will take a few hours.
We started with tequila shots, moved to beer, and next up is a bottle of J. Lohr cabernet.
Dinner is filet, augratin potatoes, and bacon brussel sprouts.
We normally do our steak night on Fridays, but it was storming, so…here we are.
It will be delightful.
Happy Saturday to you!!
- There is no doubt that we have fully embraced the suburbs life. Lol. I am not complaining. I love it! We were joking about it last night though, so it’s on my mind.
- We found out yesterday that our escrow shortage has finally been resolved. Our mortgage company had it all fucked up from the beginning, then refunded us when they weren’t supposed to, which obviously exacerbated the issue, so our mortgage payment went up by about $1500 for an entire year. We are fortunate enough to have been able to take the hit, but it still sucked. But now it’s going back down by $1000 – which is where it always should have been – and we feel rich! So now we’re getting a cleaning service to come in a couple of times per month. It’s so privileged, I know, but fuck if it won’t be nice (and honestly we really need the help).
- I’m hoping this also means I finally get my landscaping in the spring.
- I may be obsessed with my house. Lol.
- We have a friend who has been quite judgmental about suburbs living recently. It seems that people can only be happy in the city? It was bothering me for a while, but then I realized that it shouldn’t. I know I’m happy. I’m way happier here than I ever was living in the city. To each their own, and if you need to hate on someone else’s idea of happiness, that really says more about you than it does about them.
- Sorry not sorry.
- In a bit, we are going to do some stereotypical Saturday suburban couple stuff: a trip to Lowe’s, and then hitting up the Bed, Bath, and Beyond (lol…can’t get that Will Ferrel quote from Old School out of my head), and grabbing a drink before heading home.
- Tonight, we are heading over to C&J’s house to do my belated birthday wine tasting night. I am very excited for the good wine and even better company. It will be fabulous, no doubt.
- The title of this post comes from a quote in the episode of SATC I just finished. It felt appropriate for this post. Isn’t it funny how stuff like that comes together sometimes.
- Another title could be, simply: BEING HAPPY.
- Happy weekend to you! Much love.
is always steak night. It’s our thing.
This wine was fantastic, and only like $18.
I was in charge of the vegetable, while D handled the steaks. I found a recipe on pinterest that looked good, and then I modified it to make it more palatable for us.
These were so spicy. I threw them in the wok with sesame oil, soy, ginger, red pepper, lots of garlic (duh), a pinch of sugar, a dash of rice vinegar, and some other shit I can’t remember right now. 😍
The plated view:
Those aren’t bacon bits on the potato. It’s red wine salt. We love red wine salt. Not that I’m against bacon bits. I love that shit. We just didn’t have any on hand.
I ate every single bite. No regrets.
- cleaned all the things.
- organized all the things.
- went to IKEA and bought even more things.
- created a (board) game room in the loft.
- hung several pictures.
- bought a new duvet/remade the bed.
- Much laundry.
It doesn’t seem like a lot when I write it here, but it kept us busy all day and well into the evening.
We did take a break for dinner at a special place. More on that in a separate post.
Gingy is teaching me how to play Texas Hold ‘Em. We’re playing at a friend’s birthday tournament tomorrow night.
And we’re listening to the DMB concert series on Sirius XM obvi. 💖
Also…I’m losing. 🤣
We’ve been cooking a lot since we got home from vacation. I love it. 💚
We recently switched up how we were using the space upstairs. Both kids moved into new bedrooms. We ditched the family room altogether, which left us with a spare room, and so I got a room of my very own. I plan to use it as a study/home office.
I’m essentially starting from scratch as far as furnishing a study goes. I’ve never really had one before; well not since law school when I kept a small home office (but nothing fancy) for when I got sick of my study carrel in the library. All of that stuff is long gone, and was cheap IKEA crap that barely survived the move from California anyway. Certainly nothing befitting a 40-year-old attorney. So I need everything: desk, chair, shelving, etc.
For my birthday, D gave me a generous budget for decorating my new room. I didn’t want to order anything while we were going to be away, so I just finally ordered stuff tonight. To be specific: a big, gorgeous white desk, fancy desk chair, chair mat, a filing cabinet, two ladder bookcases, and a sofa. D is taking me to pick out a chandelier this weekend, and I’ll probably get a rug as well.
I am very, super duper excited.
My favorite piece? I’m so glad you asked!!
Absolutely fabulous. 💜😍💜
I’ve been thinking about getting back into this luxurious bed ever since I got out of it this morning. I slept better last night than I have in quite some time.
I want to eventually get a new duvet, but I’m going to take my time finding just the right one. In the meantime, this works just fine.
We swapped artwork between the bedroom and great room. I’m loving the STL skyline in here. It’s perfect.
Next up: picking out a vanity/dressing table. Then this room will be done…for now.
I’m going to attempt a recipe a week from the Nordstrom cookbook during the month of March.
Tonight we made:
The dinner pics –
It was all fantastic! I’m excited to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
Other recipes I tried for the first time tonight (but aren’t from the cookbook):
Garlicky dipping oil with a fresh baguette
So we actually tried three new recipes tonight. All are keepers.
I get to choose today’s CY365 prompt!!
Here is D giving the kids a little WWII history lesson during dinner, and they were totally eating it up. Pun intended!! ❤️ 🤣
Yes, I’m aware that I used my family as the subject for two photo prompts in a row. It’s because I love them to pieces. Sorry not sorry.
Here they were as dinner was starting –