I’m super duper fucking grateful for the following:
- The privilege of being Jackson’s mother. He is so amazing. Sweet, funny, cute, and smart. He’s the best thing I’ve ever done.
- The privilege of being a role model/step-parent to Freya. I finally have the daughter I have always wanted.
- Dave. Our Love. I never knew love like this could exist. I never thought I could feel so free to be myself. He makes me better. His love is like my heroin.
- My law firm. How did this happen? I’m blown away. We worked so fucking hard. Sometimes, Scott and I will fist bump and just be like, “FUCK YES!!!!!!”
- I have the coolest, funnest, most supportive and diverse group of friends. Old and new.
- My gorgeous house that I designed from fucking scratch!
- My ex. For giving me the best kid ever. For forgiving me for my past transgressions. For giving me (for the most part) a really awesome divorced co-parenting experience.
- Cats. Especially: Violet, Bozo, Morgan, Duke, and Antonio.
- Drugs. Mmmkay?
- My life after breast cancer. Forever fucking grateful.
I just want to thank everyone who took the time to reach out to me today. It was a hard day, but I feel so lucky to have so many wonderful, loving people in my life.
You know who you are. xoxo
Every year I try to do one of those challenges in November where you post one thing a day that you are grateful for, and I always fail. I think once (maybe last year?) I made it to like day 19, which was kind of a big deal for me. Instead, I’m going to skip the daily shit (because meh) and just post thirty things that I am thankful for:
- Jackson – He’s my heart. He’s the sweetest, smartest, and most beautiful person I know and I am so very thankful to be his mom.
- Dave – He’s the love of my life. He’s everything I ever wanted in a partner. I am so thankful to have found him. I just wish I could have found him sooner!
- Freya – I’m so thankful to have gotten a chance to know and love this special little girl.
- My friends – I have the greatest friends. They have carried me through so many hard times, and I wouldn’t be where I am today without their love and support.
- My cat Violet – She is such a sweet girl & I love her kisses and cuddles. I am her person, and she is my one true cat love.
- My sister Krystal – Sometimes she feels like the only family I have. Despite all we’ve been through, we always have each other’s backs.
- My career. All the hard work is paying off and it is glorious.
- Macarons from La Patisserie Choquette.
- My bed. It’s my favorite place.
- Having been able to reach so many people and change the way they think about breast cancer awareness.
- Marijuana. It has been a game changer for me in terms of my psoriatic arthritis and anxiety issues.
- Financial stability.
- Having traveled so much the last few years, but I’m especially thankful for the trip to Iceland. That was a bucket list item, and by far the greatest vacation of my life.
- Tumblr. The blogging aspect of course, but also the social media aspect. I’ve met some incredible people here.
- Health insurance. Thanks, Obama.
- Netflix, Amazon Instant, & HBO Go. Who needs cable?
- Being off on Mondays. By the time Tuesday rolls around I usually am so ready to be back in the office. It has also eliminated Sunday night anxiety, which used to be a real problem for me.
- How easy smartphones have made it to take pictures and capture memories.
- And beer!!
- Books, my Kindle, and Goodreads.
- Being the boss. It can be both a blessing and a curse, but most days I’m thankful to be the one with the final say.
- Music. Sometimes you hear that one song at the perfect moment and it changes your entire outlook for the day.
- Burritos. Especially burritos from Chipotle. Mmm.
- My Mini Cooper. I fucking love that car.
- My home. I’ve been happier here than anywhere else so far.
- My grandmother. She passed away back in 2007, but I still think of her every day and I’m so thankful for the time we had together. She helped shape me into the person I am today. I’ll never forget her.
- Those nights with the bf where we turn on a show, but never watch it because we have so much to say to each other. We spend those nights talking, drinking, and laughing. They are my favorite, and among my most cherished memories.
- Mostly, I’m thankful to be alive and writing this post. Three years ago I wasn’t so sure I would be.
I’m thankful for lazy Saturday mornings with my boyfriend. Sleeping in, sex, cuddling, breakfast, and TV. That’s the perfect Saturday morning.
Tonight I’m thankful for the cuddle fest. <3
I’m thankful for blogging.
I’ve always been into journaling. I started keeping a diary at a very young age. I kept them all throughout college, until I opened a Livejournal account in March 2004. I met a lot of really amazing ladies through LJ, particularly from the Nov 2009 babies group. In 2012, I transitioned to Tumblr, where I have met even more amazing people. People who have made my life better.
I can’t imagine living a life where I’m not writing about life. It’s such a great tool for working through feelings and problems. Plus, it’s just a fun way to keep a record of your life. I love going back and reading my old journals/blogs. The good, the bad, and the really, really bad (I’m looking at you, 2012). All of it. (It’s particularly important to me now that chemo brain has taken it’s toll, and I feel like I can’t remember anything.)
I’m thankful for drugs, particularly oxycodone and Celebrex. My arthritis has flared and I’m in a ridiculous amount of pain. This helps take the edge off.
I’m thankful to be my own boss. I decided to leave a good position as head bankruptcy/trustee attorney back in December 2010, to open my own law firm. It’s almost three years later, and things are going really well. It was super scary, and things have been difficult at times, but all the hard work has been worth it. I love walking into the office and thinking: This is mine. I did this. It’s a sweet feeling.
Of course, I couldn’t have done it without my partner. Gotta put that out there. We’ve had some rough patches, but we are in this together, and I love him.