Tonight as I was heating up my dinner (leftover deep dish pizza from Pi), I started thinking about all the ways my boyfriend and I have influenced changes in each other over the past three years. This may seem strange, but I never used to eat deep dish pizza (I’m a STL girl at heart: thin crust and provel ftw!). In fact, I used to profess a deep and utter hatred of it. However, I was quite looking forward to those leftovers tonight, and so my brain started making a list.
Ways in which I am different now (thanks to my bf):
- Hoppy beer. When we met back in 2011, I would have proudly told you (and did tell him) that my favorite beer was Michelob Ultra. Now it tastes like water to me. My current favorite? Bell’s Two Hearted Ale, but I can do hoppier (more hoppy?) when I’m feeling it.
- I save money. I was never big into saving money when I was married, though to be honest I never had any b/c my ex was always spending it. My boyfriend has taught me the benefit(s) of being thrifty, and he also encouraged me to start a 401k. I’m enjoying watching that money grow.
- Android phones. He turned me onto the awesomeness that is the android phone, and made me aware of the weird (and sometimes inexplicable) Apple brand loyalty. I’m in love with my Samsung Galaxy and I don’t see myself going back to iPhone unless they make some changes. (I took A LOT of crap from my friends over this. A lot.)
- I’m happy. I’m just generally a happier person around him, and my self-esteem is in a much better place. He supports my career. He compliments my body. He allows me to be me.
- HE MADE ME LIKE STAR TREK. This is, perhaps, the most important and amazing point of all.
I’m sure there are many more, but this is what occurred to me while I was heating up that pizza.
A few ways in which I have changed him:
- He likes Dave Matthews Band. This is pretty amazing considering the irrational hatred his ex has for that band.
- He cuddles now, and he likes it.
- He spends money. He was pretty cheap when we met, to be honest.
- He enjoys spending time in the city. (Though I don’t let him drive around here very often b/c then Red Dave comes out).
- He expresses his emotions/feelings. This took quite a bit of work. Engineers… *sigh*
- He loves Game of Thrones.
This was fun. <3